Kupugani Scholarship Fund
The Kupugani Scholarship Fund is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit corporation, which strives to be generous and make camp attainable for all campers, regardless of ability to pay. Camperships are available to assist families who may not otherwise be able to finance Camp Kupugani. In general, campership consideration will be given to any family that expresses need and has a gross annual income of less than $80,000. Campership award is on an individual, case-by-case basis, determined by need, demonstrated commitment to the Kupugani mission, and fund availability. All information for financial assistance is kept strictly confidential. Camperships are not guaranteed and may be issued in any dollar amount.
The application deadline is April 30, 2020. A Selection Committee will review completed applications and conduct interviews from May 1 – 15. Campership award recipients will be notified the week of May 18. At this time, if the requested amount is granted, Camp Kupugani will register your camper; if the amount granted is less than requested, your deposit can be returned in full.
All parents/guardians must submit a completed camp registration form, proof of income documents, and a refundable (per conditions above) $525 by April 30, 2020. The child named on this application will not be registered for Camp Kupugani unless and until a campership is awarded.
First-time campers are required to submit a recommendation letter from a teacher, coach or community leader who can speak to their character, social-emotional skills and contributions to building diverse and inclusive communities.
Returning campers are required to submit a personal essay or video narrative demonstrating how Kupugani has helped them to build diverse and inclusive communities at home, school, and/or elsewhere.
All campership applicants may be invited for a 10 to15-minute phone/video call where they will be asked to share more about why they want to attend camp this summer and what they hope to bring back to their communities.
All campership recipients must submit a post-camp letter of thanks to our donors.
The following standards for eligibility qualify a campership participant with the Kupugani Scholarship Fund:
- Aged 7 – 15
- Self-motivated and excited to participate under the guidelines of Camp Kupugani
- Involved in school and extracurricular activities
- Respectful of others and able to follow the guidelines of positive group dynamics
- Expresses curiosity, integrity, intelligence, and willingness to take risks
- Flexible and mature
- Interested in grasping a broader sense of responsibility and acquiring a great appreciation for self-confidence, know-how and leadership
- Committed to being a positive contributing group member and shows a genuine interest to participate
- Understanding their commitment means full participation and completion of the program
- Has a family who supports their child’s attendance for Camp Kupugani
- Family is unable to otherwise afford for their child to attend Camp Kupugani, as shown by their submission of income and expense information on the Kupugani Scholarship
Financial information is submitted as part of the campership application process. Amount given toward the participation of any campership student child shall not exceed the amount of tuition minus the amount the family is able to pay and any amount gleaned from the participant’s own efforts in raising funds. The list below also gives guidelines to specific family allocations.
Household Size 2-3:
- Partial 25% campership $55,000 – $69,999 gross annual income
- Partial 50% campership $40,000 – $54,999 gross annual income
- Partial 75% campership <$39,999 gross annual income
Household Size 4-5:
- Partial 25% campership $60,000 – $74,999 gross annual income
- Partial 50% campership $50,000 – $59,999 gross annual income
- Partial 75% campership <$49,999 gross annual income
Household Size 6-7:
- Partial 25% campership $65,000 – $80,000 gross annual income
- Partial 50% campership $55,000 – $64,999 gross annual income
- Partial 75% campership <$54,999 gross annual income
The Campership application is located on this page and can be downloaded and printed. Additional information is available by contacting Kevin Gordon at (815) 713-4110.
Checklist for Application
Attach a copy of:
___ Completed CAMPERSHIP APPLICATION
___ Recent FEDERAL TAX FORM (both sides)
___ Completed CAMP REGISTRATION FORM
___ Recent PAY STUB/INCOME VERIFICATION
___ $525 DEPOSIT (refundable until qualified)
___ Explanation of why camper deserves/needs the scholarship
___ Reference letter(s) from 3rd party explaining why camper deserves/needs the scholarship
All items listed above must be submitted together, or processing will be delayed.