8 Fun and Easy Ways to Bond with Your Child
At Camp Kupugani, our multicultural overnight summer camp in the Midwest (in Leaf River, IL, two hours west of Chicago and 75 minutes south of Madison, WI), we are all about parents having positive connections with their children.
Connecting with your child can sometimes be hard. Sometimes you might feel compelled to focus on teaching them “life lessons” and less just enjoying your time with them. Well, you can have both! Bullets below from a recent article from iMom, with the full article available by clicking here.
- Find a “fishing hole” (or other natural spot)
- Plan a day where you and your child take time in nature.
- Leave the electronics in the car as you venture out.
- Read a good book together
- Let your child pick up out a book for you both to read.
- This book should be based on an interest of your child to help with buy-in.
- Teach your child something fun
- Share with your child a skill that you have (armpit farts? gummy bear catching?)
- Allow your child to pick something s/he wants to learn and learn it together.
- Take a long walk together
- Set aside time once a week to walk.
- Keep technology away and let the conversation flow.
- Have a standing monthly date
- Put the date in your calendar and let nothing get in the way.
- Have your child plan out the date.
- Have a slumber party
- Pop popcorn and watch a movie in your bedroom.
- Play board games.
- Out yourself as a former goofy kid
- Share silly stories from your childhood
- Don’t be afraid to embarrass yourself
- Road trip!
- Take a trip–just you and your child.
- Make this trip somewhere entertaining to your child.